Saturday, October 1, 2011

Rollins takes shots at Jose Reyes

"I would have played the whole game," Rollins said, as quoted by the Post. "I'm like, 'Hey, I fought this hard to be in this position and I'm going to see it through to the end.' My personality, I'm going to ride it out. I worked this hard to be this good and put up these numbers, I would like to see it all the way to the end. I don't think it's lack of confidence with Jose Reyes, but that is the way he wanted to do it. For what reason, I don't know. It could have been outside influences. His agent may have told him, 'If you get up there, if you get a hit your first AB, you come out." "He did everything he needed to do, and when you see that coming from another player, you see them putting the team first -- 'It's not about me. I've got to push the issue for the team. I put myself in position that puts us in position,'" Rollins said. "In previous years you just didn't get quite that feeling from (Reyes) being in the other dugout. This year you really did. It was like, 'This man is doing everything he can." - Rollins quote about Reyes

Makes you wonder why Jimmy Rollins continues to speak out about other players when he simply should focus on his team and their playoff run. Especially with the fact that like Reyes, Rollins is going to hit free agency this off-season and it isn't wise to talk smack about your competition. The way i feel about this situation is this, how can a player comment on another players actions if they never challenged for a batting title themselves. Winning a batting title isn't easy in the majors to do, so if someone has the opportunity should they win it however they can regardless if it turns heads or upsets critics? This goes to show you that even with the Phillies currently in the playoffs, Reyes still finds ways to irritate the people and city of Philadelphia.

Reyes Career Highs:

At-Bats - 698 (2005)
Hits - 204 (2008)
Average - .337 (2011)
Runs - 122 (2006)
Doubles - 37 (2008)
Triples - 19 (2008)
Stolen Bases - 78 (2007)
Career Average - .292


Rollins Career Highs:

At-Bats - 716 (2007)
Hits - 212 (2007)
Average - .296 (2007)
Runs - 139 (2007)
Doubles - 45 (2006)
Triples - 20 (2007)
Stolen Bases - 47 (2008)
Career Average - .272

The difference between Reyes and Rollins is the fact that Reyes won a Batting Title and Rollins won an MVP award. They might be compared to each other and may have similarities but Reyes is 4 years younger then Rollins and barring injuries in the future could very will be the second best shortstop in New York. That says a lot about Reyes, but if he can play at a high level and stay healthy, the sky is the limit for the kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment