Friday, September 23, 2011

Reyes Loves NY But Time Will Tell His Future

“I don’t know if I’m going to be back or not, This is the only team that I played for so far in my whole career, I feel comfortable here. I feel good with the ownership. I feel like we are family and stuff like that. At the same time, this is a business. And to be honest with you, I don’t know what’s going to happen. Right now I want to finish the couple of remaining games strong and see what happens.”

I understand Reyes sees this as a business in which he has no idea how the off-season will pan out but in the same sense I believe Reyes should stay a Met for his entire career. Yes Jose can get a boat load of money else where and depending on the team he chooses he can also make a run at the post-season as well as World Series. If Reyes ends up winning the NL batting title thats going to boost the amount of money his agent will ask this off-season to bidders on his client.

Reyes is currently hitting .329 (171-for-519) on the season with 5 homeruns, 40 RBIs, 36 stolen bases and 98 runs scored. He also has a .377 (OBP), .478 (SLG) and .854 (OPS). Do I want Jose Reyes back on this Mets team, YES, but I also want what is best for this team going forward. I don't think its a logically idea to throw tons of money at Reyes just to re-sign him because this team needs more then just a shortstop. With needs at starting pitching, bullpen, outfield, it wouldn't make sense to just give Reyes the kind of contract we all assume he wants, Crawford 7-years $142M. Since 2009, Reyes is 190-for-608 (.313) lifetime at Citifield with 11 homeruns, 57 RBIs and 20 triples.

No comments:

Post a Comment