Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jose Reyes Wins NL Batting Title

“I’m humbled and honored,” Reyes said in a statement issued by the Mets. “It means so much to my family and my country, the Dominican Republic. I have been through a lot over the past few years, so this really means a lot to me. It’s also very special to be the first Mets player to win a batting title. There have been so many great players throughout our history. I want to thank Terry Collins, my coaches and all my teammates and of course all the Mets fans who have always supported me and been behind me 100 percent.”


After a bunt single in his first at-bat, Jose Reyes was finished for the day and lifted for a pinch runner. The crowd at Citi Field was pretty upset and boos were heard around the stadium. Fans wanted to see Reyes have at least two or three more at-bats with him hitting free agency after this season is over and with what could be his final game in a Mets uniform. “It was kind of tough,” Reyes said. “I want to stay in the game. They have to understand, too, what’s going on. They have to feel happy about it if I win the battling title. Ryan Braun would have had to go at least 3-for-3 or 3-for-4 to pass Reyes and win the batting title but after a 0-for-4 night, Reyes was crowned champion. 


Throughtout the ninth inning fans chanted "PLEASE STAY, JOSE!", and he gave the crowd a salute and walked off the field. Chants of "JOSE REYES!" continued after he threw his hat into the stands and went back into the Mets dugout which could be the last time we see him on the New York Mets. When Reyes was just 16-years old, the Mets signed him out of the Dominican Republic. He will hit free agency after the World Series and we will see if Sandy Alderson can do what it takes to re-sign him.

Jose Reyes (2011) - 181-for-537 (.337), 7HRs, 44 RBIs, 101 runs scored, 39 stolen bases, 16 triples, 31 doubles

Reyes Ranks on Mets All-Time Record List:


  • At-Bats - 4,453 (2nd)
  • Average - .292 (7th)
  • Hits - 1,300 (2nd)
  • Doubles - 222 (3rd)
  • Triples - 99 (1st)
  • Stolen Bases - 370 (1st)
  • Runs - 735 (1st)

No comments:

Post a Comment